1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't iTunes get it together?

Discussion in 'Popstar discussions' started by AliasClarkKent, 4 Jan 2013.

?

Should iTunes and Amazon allow purchase of music from other countries?

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. AliasClarkKent

AliasClarkKent New Member Newbie

It is so aggravating that iTunes and Amazon will not let you download UK music from their sites. Someone please explain this without telling me something crazy. It just seems like a lot of lost money.
  2. Silvan

Silvan Administrator Staff Member

of course they 'should', however it would distort markets. If UK residents would start buying music on US iTunes, it would count towards the US Billboard chart. It would make promoting acts more difficult as well (it's hard to see if a certain promotion/performance had any effect on the charts, as they're 'global' rather than region specific). And then on top of that, you'll find that each country has their own rules around copyright of composers and performers and even tax implications (what tax or VAT rate do you pay).

So yeah, none of the above are in the interest of consumers, but it's the way the industry works and how local laws need to be applied.
  3. AliasClarkKent

while i do understand that - music is supposed to be global. i would gladly purchase music (including taxes and fees) to help out my artists on the UK charts. i think promotion can only be limited when it is region specific. it's just very aggravating. as aggravating to me as the antiquated nielsen ratings system. with social media, everything is everywhere at once, so i feel some things should be changed to allow promotion to other markets.
  4. Silvan

Silvan Administrator Staff Member

yep, agree all music should be available in all markets at the same time, which is happening more. But it still leaves the labels with a problem of promotion; an up coming artist can only really work one market at the time. Like Rita Ora, she's pretty big here in the UK, but hasn't crossed over to the US yet, as it would require too much of time (which would probably kill her flourishing UK career).

There's an interesting article on the Guardian though about TV and film piracy. They suffer from the same issue of different release dates; which is shown to increase piracy; once someone starts using an illegal outlet to get hold of the movies, he/she is much more inclined to keep using it as patterns are set. All for that little bit of extra revenue the studios wanted.

5. AliasClarkKent

that is a very interesting article. i have resorted to that for my music from the UK, especially when to buy a CD costs around $20-$25 dollars vs the $7.99-$12.99 for music produced in the states. if it is for my favorites, like The Saturdays or Little Mix, i will spend the money without hesitation, hoping it's counted as a sale for them. but that's very expensive when some sites offer these CD's for a serious fraction of the cost ($1-$3). i just think music & tv need to consolidate globally. they are doing it with Doctor Who now and some shows on BBC America, but i just started Merlin season 5 here on Syfy, while the entire season has already shown in the UK. The Saturdays are about to begin their introduction to the US, several years after their first CD was released in the UK, i feel it's like they're starting all over, because very few know who they are. luckily i have WAPS to give me all my UK info and keep me up to date, or i would still be years behind for the awesome music the UK produces. come on, Olly Murs could be popular anywhere, and the US seems to be becoming more accepting of international musicians and actors, except when they make them speak in an american accent, which when you're already a fan can seem a little unnecessary.