1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheryl Cole - Third album 'A Million Lights' + singles

Discussion in 'Popstar discussions' started by Silvan, 18 Apr 2012.

1. Silvan

Silvan Administrator Staff Member

From the press release:
    cherylcole.jpeg
    Cheryl, the pop superstar returns with a new single and album this summer. Lead single ‘Call My Name’ will be released on June 10th. The single, which is written and produced by Calvin Harris, will go to UK radio on Friday 20th April at 8.10am.

The video, which was filmed in downtown LA, was directed by Anthony Mandler and will premiere on Vevo on 2nd May.

‘Call My Name’ is taken from Cheryl’s third album ‘A Million Lights’ which is released on Jun 18th through Polydor Records. Cheryl recorded the album in London, New York and LA with collaborators including Alex Da Kid, will.i.am, Lana Del Rey, Jim Beanz and newcomers Pantha and HyGrade.

‘A Million Lights’ follows Cheryl’s previous solo albums ‘3 Words’ and ‘Messy Little Raindrops’ both of which went to #1 on the album charts in the UK. Cheryl’s solo career started with the single ‘Fight For This Love’ which stormed to #1 in October 2009, it went on to top the charts in ten different countries. This was followed up by further top five singles ‘3 Words’ and ‘Parachute’ and another #1 with ‘Promise This.’
    Last edited: 24 Jun 2012
  2. Silvan

Here it is, the new single Call My Name, produced by Calvin Harris!

3. Silvan

Oh god, please not a week of teasers ahead of Cheryl's 'Call My Name' video première on May 2nd.
  4. Geraint

Geraint Administrator Newbie

The dancing at the beginning of Cheryl's video sort of reminds me of the crazy dancing at the beginning of this scene from '80s ET-rip off Mac & Me:
  5. Silvan

Do you think this album will turn Cheryl Cole into a global superstar?
  6. H.T.

H.T. Disco queen

Like the single - much better than crappy last album. She needs to focus if she wants to be a real singing star. The number of people listed as participating in the album is very worrying
  7. kinkykylie

kinkykylie New Member Newbie

I think she has missed any chance of being a global star now, the xfactor USA was her platform, but when that messed up, so did her chances of global stardom..
  8. Silvan

The list of people said to be involved is pretty long, but I doubt they've all come to fruition or have made the final album cut. Here's a list of rumours:
    • Usher
    • Christina Aguilera; rumours about a duet
    • Far East Movement
    • Will.i.am - 'Craziest Things' (confirmed)
    • Taio Cruz
    • Alex Da Kid (confirmed)
    • Rihanna; rumours about a duet
    • Calvin Harris (confirmed; first single Call My Name)
    • Lana Del Rey has written an "urban, mid-tempo ballad" but didn't include that on her debut album 'Born To Die'
    • Jim Beanz 'This Is War'
    • Pantha and HyGrade.
    By the looks of it, the album will be a mix of pop and dance with urban influences, not unlike Rihanna's Loud or Talk That Talk. Let's hope they spend a bit more time on crafting the album than her last one 'Messy Little Raindrops', as that just felt like b-sides and leftovers from her first album.
    Last edited: 19 May 2012
  9. Silvan

You can still be a global star without cracking the US (they don't really get pop anyway). Kylie's global, but had very limited success in the US.
  10. H.T.

H.T. Disco queen

But if she wants to sell huge amounts of records and maximise her earnings from live shows (which I think she'd be quite good at given that live singing isn't a necessity nowadays - her dancing and star quality is great) she needs to have a go at US. Their market dwarfs any other territory - UK, Germany and Japan are next but miles behind in terms of record sales. I agree that she can still do well from live shows if she can break Europe and Asia. Thats how stars make money when record sales are dwindling. But even Kylie has a place in the US now- Fever sold over a million and was number 3 in charts and Aphrodite was 19. Cheryl should focus on what she's about as a performer and go for it - outside UK and Ireland neither her nor Girls Aloud have done particularly well. f*ck the L'oreal ads, TV shows and twitter relationship crap and get on with it!
    kinkykylie likes this.
  11. kinkykylie

kinkykylie New Member Newbie

I see your point, but to be truly recognised as global you need to have some success in all 4 of the worlds major music industries and the USA would have been great for her..
    As for Kylie, she is global on the strength of UK, Europe, Australia, Asia and Fever was huge in America..

I hope she does well with this album, but I think its only going to be a hit here in the UK..
  12. Silvan

13. Silvan

14. H.T.

H.T. Disco queen

Lets hope not!!
  15. Silvan

Oh Cheryl, I know you mean well, but really?!

http://www.nme.com/news/cheryl-cole/63872
  16. Silvan

'Call My Name' comes with two b-sides, 'Make You Go' and 'Telescope'. Listen to them below.

'Make You Go' as poetic lyrics like "I'll make your jeans vibrate like a Nokia."

I quite like the sound of Telescope, it's a pretty ballad.
    Last edited: 19 May 2012
  17. Silvan

18. Geraint

Geraint Administrator Newbie

re: Chris Brown - of couse she forgives him, hello lollipop incident...
  19. Silvan

While unconfirmed if ‘Love Killer‘ will be featured on Cheryl Cole‘s forthcoming album ‘A Million Lights’, the new track is yet another example of Cheryl playing around with an edgier sound; this time in the form of dubstep. Listen to ‘Love Killer below’.
    http://cherylcolemusic/love-killer
  20. Eros

Eros Junior Member Newbie

A Million Lights.jpg

Last edited: 24 May 2012